7 Features Help Sell Your HomeSusan Tiffany, CCUFC / February 11th, 2016
You might be reluctant to make upgrades when you’re ready to sell your house. After all, you won’t be in the house to enjoy them for long. And most projects recoup only 64% of their costs, according to the 2016 cost versus value report from Remodeling magazine.
But complacency can mean your house stays on the market for months—time that costs you money. That’s why these seven updates that rank high on buyers’ wish lists, from the National Association of Home Builders’ (NAHB) “What Home Buyers Really Want” report, are worth considering:
- Laundry room. More than half (57%) of buyers say they don’t want a house without this feature; 93% want separate laundry space.
- Exterior lighting. Nine of 10 buyers want this amenity, the most-wanted outdoor feature.
- Energy-efficient windows. Energy Star-rated windows turn up on 89% of buyers’ priority lists. These windows can help reduce energy bills up to 15% by reducing undesirable heat gain and loss in the home.
- Roomy garage. 86% of buyers want bonus garage space that’s accessible and organized.
- Eat-in kitchen. This is especially important for families with children; 85% of buyers expect it.
- Walk-in pantry. Another 85% are looking for pantries with built-in organization systems to keep food and preparation items out of sight. It’s a bonus if your pantry doubles as a broom closet.
- Wireless security system. Fully half (50%) of buyers are looking for homes offering modern conveniences, and wireless home security systems rank the highest among technology features buyers would like to have, according to NAHB.
Home improvements can be a great way to increase value to your home, but keep this list in mind so you spend your money on the right renovations.image name is cover_1457450684.jpgTitle name is 7 Features Help Sell Your Home